Are you exploiting little opportunities?
The Foundation of Success
One complaint that many people have is that there are not enough opportunities to create amazing success. People want to meet that one connection. They want to get discovered on a television show or in a coffee shop. The media celebrates these anomalies. However, there are opportunities around us almost every hour.
To be amazing or extraordinary, you have to first perform ordinary tasks over and over again until you become amazing. The media does not celebrate a person who just puts their head down and works. When you focus on your work, you generate results. When you generate results, people notice and say “wow, that person produced results, let me get on the bandwagon.” That is how a foundation for an amazing life is built. It is the combination of hundreds of little tasks executed over and over again until, or even after, you become amazing.
Don’t know where to begin?
- Be on time. When you are late, you are telling the other person that your time is more important than their time.
- Be present. There is nothing worse than talking on your cellphone, especially while the person you are with is on waiting for your attention.
- Be clear about your goals. What does success look like and feel like to you? What will you be able to do later that you cannot do now? What will you be able to do for your family or friends? Imagine it. Feel it. Get excited about it.
- Be willing to serve. Larry Winget has said to find your uniqueness and exploit it in service of others. Everybody is in our life for one simple reason – to improve the life of each other. Wives make husbands’ lives better. Employees make employers’ lives better. Waiters make customers’ lives better. This list goes on and on. Woody Allen said that 80 percent of life is just showing up. I want to improve on that thought. Life is about showing up and being willing to serve. If you are willing to do that, then 80 percent of success is done.
- Be humble. Mistakes are a part of life. There will be times when you do everything right and things just happen. There are times when you need to make an excuse. There are times when you leave 15 minutes early and you are still ten minutes late. However, when you make an excuse, you make it up. People are very understanding and if you are not trying to cheat them, then they will overlook little mishaps.
- Be performance minded. Lastly, most people are not willing to go the extra mile. Most people not willing to finish the race. Paula Abdul has a great quote: “There is no traffic beyond the extra mile.” Be willing to go the extra mile in everything that you do. Put more effort, more enthusiasm in everything that you do. Read more. Learn more. Be a better person. Live life out loud.
- Be others minded. Practice the Golden Rule. “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” Be honest. Be a good friend. Be a good parent. Be a good person
Opportunities are everywhere. You always have the opportunity to play well with others, show up and be willing to serve. When people witness you exploiting these opportunities, they start trusting you and giving you bigger and bigger chances. The result is an amazing life.
So, what do you think of all of this? In the comments below, tell us if you exploit the little opportunities in life? If so, how?
If you like this article, please share it on social media.
Oftentimes, people blame the lack of opportunities on their inability to achieve amazing success. The way around this is to create opportunity for yourself. There are several steps written in this article that are designed to set you on the right path. The most important thing to remember is to constantly take advantage of opportunities, whether they be self-made or found. Focus and hard work are key elements to achieving the goals that you’ve been hoping to obtain.